A question that we are often asked here at Core Bamboo is what is the proper way to care for a bamboo cutting board?
A bamboo cutting board is an environmentally friendly alternative to wood and plastic cutting boards. The durability of bamboo and its natural ability to fight bacteria make bamboo cutting boards a terrific addition to your kitchen.
Following a few simple tips will keep your bamboo cutting boards in good condition for many years to come.
1. After each use, wash your bamboo cutting board with a mild dish detergent and warm water. Wipe board dry immediately after use. Liquids should not pool on your board for extended periods of time.
2. Do not put your cutting board in the dish washer and do not soak.
3. Before using your new bamboo cutting board, oil with mineral oil. Then apply oil once a month for light usage and up to once a week for boards that are used more often. Apply oil to your cutting board with a cotton cloth. Rub in thoroughly. Let board sit for 20 minutes before removing excess oil.
4. Sanitize your board after coming in contact with raw meat. Use a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water or a bleach dilution. Be sure to then rinse board thoroughly.
5. Never put your bamboo cutting board in the microwave.
These simple steps will greatly prolong the life of your bamboo cutting board.